- Types of Information We Collect. We collect a few categories of information via our OMNY Services:
- Personal Information. We use the term "Personal Information" to mean any information that identifies you as an individual, and any other information that we associate with it. Personal
Information you may provide to us through your access or use of the OMNY Services includes:
- Your name, age, photograph, email address, and password;
- Your other contact information, including mailing address (including postal code and country of residence), and phone number;
- Payment information and identity verification information, such as credit card or other payment card information, and the last four digits of your Social Security number;
- Any disabilities that may qualify you for a special program; and
- Geolocation information.
- Online Activity Information. We also collect technical and device-related information through certain OMNY Services, and third party analytics tools that we use (collectively, the "Online
Activity Information"). Examples of Online Activity Information includes:
- Device identifiers, such as cookies;
- Device information, such as hardware and software settings;
- IP addresses and log information, such as your device's name, the type and version of your web browser, and referrer addresses that can function to identify a user device; and
- Tracking information that we, or a third party, may collect.
If any of your Online Activity Information is associated with Personal Information, then we will treat such associated Online Activity Information as Personal Information. Otherwise, we treat Online Activity Information as Anonymous Information.
- Anonymous Information. In addition to Personal Information, we may also collect (i) information that does not identify you or your devices, and (ii) de-identified Personal Information that no longer identifies you (collectively, "Anonymous Information"). Information that meets either of these criteria might include, for example, demographic information and statistical information (e.g., page views and hit counts). We use Anonymous Information for our operations and, since Anonymous Information does not include Personal Information, we do not treat it as such.
- Personal Information. We use the term "Personal Information" to mean any information that identifies you as an individual, and any other information that we associate with it. Personal Information you may provide to us through your access or use of the OMNY Services includes:
- How We Collect this Information. We collect the above information through the following means and technologies:
- Registration; Linked Accounts. When you register in order to create an account with us (an "OMNY Account"), you must provide us with certain Personal Information in order to create an OMNY Account. We will use this information to set up your OMNY Account, authenticate your sign-on information, and to manage other functionalities relating to your account. As further explained below, you may also link an OMNY contactless fare payment card, a credit card or other payment card (each, an "OMNY Payment Method") with your OMNY Account.
- Participation in Special Programs. When you apply to participate in certain programs available through the MTA, we will collect certain Personal Information in order to determine your eligibility. For example, if you would like to participate in the MTA's Reduced Fare Program, then we will collect Personal Information about you, including your name, age, address, contact information, and any qualifying disabilities that may qualify you for participation in the Reduced Fare Program.
- Payment Information. We collect your credit card, other payment card information, or banking information when you purchase a fare product through our OMNY Services, register an OMNY Payment Method in your OMNY Account, or otherwise use an OMNY Payment Method to access our OMNY Services (for example, by tapping a credit card or phone at a reader). Such information may include the credit or debit card primary account number and expiration date, and bank account number and routing number. Additionally, we may collect the card brand (e.g., Visa, MasterCard), and/or the card type (e.g., credit, debit, pre-paid, contactless, transit benefit, etc.). For any transaction, the method by which the OMNY Services authenticate your OMNY Payment Method varies, but may include, for example, your PIN, billing ZIP code, or full billing address. Note that your financial institution may provide us with updated financial information in order to complete contemplated transactions.
- Questionnaires and Surveys. We may invite you and/or allow you to participate in surveys and questionnaires, which we may post or otherwise provide to you from time to time. You are free to choose whether you participate in a survey or questionnaire. We may ask that, in addition to providing your responses, you also provide Personal Information. In these instances, we may use any information that you provide to us for the purposes for which you submit the information. We may also add your Personal Information to your customer profile. Survey and questionnaire information may be used for the purposes of monitoring, improving the OMNY Services, or publicly posting your responses to surveys or questionnaires.
User Content. As further set out below, we may give you the ability through the OMNY Services to engage with us and others in public exchanges or to publicly display information via the OMNY Services, such
as comments and feedback about the OMNY Services (collectively, "User Content"). The OMNY Terms of Service provides additional details about your rights and obligations related to User Content. We are not
responsible for Personal Information you decide to include in User Content. If you include any Personal Information relating to others in your User Content, then you represent that you have full permission and authority to
- User Content Provided to Us for Public Consumption. We may give you the ability, for example, through the Website, OMNY App, or a third party social media platform, to engage with us and others in public exchanges by providing User Content, which may include opportunities for you to provide comments, reviews, recommendations, and other input. Please understand that, if you include Personal Information in such User Content, then others will be able to read, collect, republish, and otherwise freely use the information. We are not responsible for Personal Information that you decide to include in such User Content, and we will not take down, remove, or edit User Content, except as required by applicable law.
- Correspondence. We may collect information about you that you provide when you request information from us or otherwise correspond with us including, for example, when using the Contact Us feature on our Website.
- Device Configuration. We may collect certain information in order to determine whether your computer/device is supported by our systems. This information may include your operating system and browser, the presence of any software that our Website or OMNY App may require to operate with your computer/device, or other third party software on your computer/device.
- IP Addresses; Logs. We may automatically receive and record information in our server logs from your browser, including your IP address (the Internet address of your computer), your computer's name, the type and version of your web browser, referrer addresses, and other generally-accepted log information. We may also record page views (hit counts) and other general statistical and tracking information, which will be aggregated with that of other users in order to understand how our Website is being used, and for security and monitoring purposes.
- Location Information. Certain OMNY Services, such as the Website and OMNY App, may request your current location, which, if selected, could determine your geographic location. We will only collect and process such information if you have consented and opted-in to this feature. You may also always opt out or withdraw your permission by changing your permissions or settings on your browser or on the OMNY App.
- Cookies. Cookies are small data files that are sent to your browser from our web servers, and are stored on your computer or mobile device's hard drive, to enable the OMNY Website to recognize users who have previously visited it and retain certain information such as customer preferences and navigation history in order to help us understand how the OMNY Website is being used, and to improve your browsing experience. For example, we use Google Analytics cookies, which are described here. You can prevent the use of Google Analytics relating to your use of the OMNY Services by downloading and installing a browser plugin available here.
- Web Beacons. The Website also uses web beacons, which are small image files with unique identifiers used alone or in conjunction with cookies, to determine ads your browser is shown, which ads you click and other actions you take on the Internet. We use beacons to help us better provide relevant products, services, and information to you, and to help us effectively measure advertising effectiveness, if applicable. A third party is required to protect the privacy of the information it receives using web beacons or cookies and is not allowed to use the information it receives for any purpose beyond what is necessary to assist the MTA.
- Contact Information. We may collect your contact details (such as your name, email address, mailing address (including postal code), and phone number) upon request and when you provide it to us through the OMNY Services, including the Website, OMNY App, or to an OMNY Customer Service representative.
- How We Use Collected Information. We use information that we collect or process, including Personal Information, Online Activity Information, and Anonymous Information, as permitted under applicable
- to provide, maintain, and improve the OMNY Services or other MTA services, including internal administration, auditing, operation, and troubleshooting;
- to process your transactions made via our OMNY Services, including the OMNY Fare Payment System readers, and to resolve inquiries you submit when you contact OMNY Customer Service;
- to resolve payment issues;
- to communicate with you about the OMNY Services, including by sending you announcements, updates, security alerts, and support and administrative messages;
- to perform analytics, quality control, market research, and to determine the effectiveness of our OMNY Services, promotional campaigns, to improve our current products, OMNY Services, and develop new products and services;
- to create Anonymous Information;
- to allow you to post User Content;
- to understand your needs and interests, and personalize your experience with the OMNY Services;
- to respond to your requests, questions, and feedback related to the OMNY Services, if applicable.
- Other Essential Uses of Information. We may also use information that we collect or process as we believe necessary for certain essential purposes, including:
- to comply with applicable law and legal processes;
- to respond to requests from public and government authorities;
- to detect, prevent, or investigate potential security incidents, fraud, harmful, unauthorized, unethical, or illegal activity;
- to provide important safety notices or otherwise notify you of emergency situations;
- to protect our operations;
- to protect the rights, privacy, safety or property, and security of you, us, and others; and
- to provide the OMNY Services.
- Disclosure of Your Information. We will not sell Personal Information collected from the OMNY Services to third parties. We will also not disclose your Personal Information
to third parties without your express consent, except in the following limited circumstances:
Legal Obligation. We may be required to share your Personal Information pursuant to a court order or other legal or regulatory obligation or process. In addition, the MTA is a public benefit corporation and, as such, the disclosure of your Personal Information is subject to certain laws, including but not limited to the New York State Internet Security and Privacy Act, New York State Freedom of Information Law, and the New York State Personal Privacy Protection Law, unless the information is exempted by law. You should not provide Personal Information if you are concerned about disclosure of your information under these laws.
- OMNY Account Registration and Controls; Opting Out. Registering for an OMNY Account is optional. If you opt to register for an OMNY Account, you will need to provide account information to us, as
described herein. An OMNY Account may be closed at any time by contacting OMNY Customer Service at (877) 789-OMNY (6669) or
- Modifying or Updating Personal Information. A customer who has registered for an OMNY Account can modify Personal Information at any time, or add account information online at https://www.omny.info by logging into their OMNY Account, or by contacting OMNY Customer Service.
- Choosing Not to Share Your Personal Information. You may choose not to send us an email, register online for an OMNY Account, or otherwise communicate with us via certain OMNY Services, such as the App or Website. While your choice not to participate in these activities or transactions may limit your ability to receive specific OMNY Services, it will not prevent you from receiving all the OMNY Services.
- Opting Out. If we choose to send to you, or you have elected to receive, bulletins, updates, questionnaires, surveys, or other marketing-related materials, we will provide you with the ability to decline – or "opt out" – of receiving such communications. Instructions for opting-out will be provided if and when we determine to send you such a communication. For example, if you no longer wish to receive promotional email messages from us, then you can opt out by either (i) following the "unsubscribe" instructions located near the bottom of each email message, or (ii) contacting us as provided in Section 16 (How to Contact Us) below. Please understand that we may still communicate with you in connection with administrative notices concerning any transactions, operation of the OMNY Services and legal notices.
- Personal Information of Children; Compliance with COPPA. The MTA does not knowingly collect Personal Information from children under the age of 13 years online, in compliance with the Children's Online Privacy Protection Act ("COPPA") and the Federal Trade Commission's rule interpreting COPPA (16 CFR § 312). The online OMNY Services offerings are not directed at children, and as such, Personal Information submitted in an email or through an online transaction will be treated as though it was submitted by an adult, and may, unless exempted by federal or state law, be subject to public access. Please contact us if you believe we have collected Personal Information from a child under 13 years using online methods. If we learn that a child under 13 years of age has provided us with Personal Information, we will delete this information from our databases.