Revised March 15, 2019
PERSONAL INFORMATION WE COLLECT
Information you give us
Personal Information you may provide through the OMNY Products includes:
- Contact information. We may collect your contact details (such as your name, e-mail, and phone number) upon request, and when you provide it to us through the OMNY Website, an OMNY Customer Service representative or otherwise.
- Account information. You can register for an OMNY Account by (i) submitting your e-mail address and (ii) creating a (a) password; (b) personal identification number (“PIN”), that will be used to access account management features via OMNY Customer Service; and (c) answers to security questions that will support the setting of a password or PIN ((i) and (ii) collectively, “Account Information”). If you register for an OMNY Account, we collect the Account Information you provide to create and administer your OMNY Account. This Account Information may be collected by electronic submission online, through the OMNY Website, or via OMNY Customer Service. If you register for an OMNY Account, your transaction and travel history can be tracked through your OMNY Account, and you can access this information for a period of up to 90 days by logging into your OMNY Account. By way of clarification, if you have a registered OMNY Account, each tap you make at an OMNY reader with a Payment Method that is registered to that Account can be linked to your OMNY Account.
- Payment information. We collect your credit card or other payment card information when you (i) tap your contactless card or digital wallet or wearable (individually and collectively, “Payment Method(s)”) at an OMNY reader; (ii) register a credit or debit card as a Payment Method in your OMNY Account; or (iii) purchase a fare product (e.g., a monthly pass) through the OMNY Website or other sales channels. Such information may include the credit or debit card primary account number and expiration date, both for the cards you tap at an OMNY reader as well as any card provisioned to a digital wallet. Additionally, we may collect the country of card issuance, the card brand (e.g., Visa, MasterCard), and/or the card type (e.g., credit, debit, pre-paid, contactless, transit benefit, etc.). For any transaction, the method by which OMNY authenticates your Payment Method varies, but may include, without limitation, your PIN, billing ZIP code or full billing address to support cardholder verification.
- User-generated content. We may collect content or other information that you may provide or create when you interact with the OMNY Website.
- Correspondence. We may collect information about you that you provide when you request information from us or otherwise correspond with us.
Information collected automatically when you use OMNY Products
The MTA automatically collects certain information about your use of the OMNY Website, such as the IP address and domain name of your Internet service provider, the type of browser and operating system used, the date and time of your visit, the webpages you visit, services accessed, and the referring Internet site, if any. Additionally, if you use a mobile device to access the OMNY Website, we may collect information about your mobile device including your device ID and IP address of your mobile device. The MTA also monitors user traffic and patterns or usage of the OMNY Website by employing standard industry technologies such as cookies, log files, web beacons, and unique identifiers to identify your computer or mobile device.
Cookies and Web Beacons
The OMNY Website also uses web beacons, which are small image files with unique identifiers used alone or in conjunction with cookies, to determine ads your browser is shown, which ads you click and other actions you take on the Internet. We use beacons to help us better provide relevant products, services and information to you, and to help us effectively measure advertising effectiveness, if applicable. A third party is required to protect the privacy of the information it receives using web beacons or cookies and is not allowed to use the information it receives for any purpose beyond what is necessary to assist the MTA. We do not sell, trade, or otherwise distribute information about you gathered through the web beacons or pixels with any third parties.
The OMNY Website contains third party analytics cookies and web beacons, such as Google Analytics. The information generated by Google Analytics about your use of the OMNY Website (including your IP address) will be transmitted to and stored by Google on servers in the United States. Google will use this information for the purpose of evaluating your use of the OMNY Website, compiling reports on the OMNY Website activity for operators of the OMNY Website and providing other services relating to the OMNY Website activity and internet usage. Google may also transfer this information to third parties where required to do so by law, or where such third parties process the information on Google's behalf. Google will not associate your IP address with any other data held by Google. Your IP address is recorded, but immediately pseudonymized meaning that only a rough localization is possible. You can find out more information about Google Analytics cookies here. You can prevent the use of Google Analytics relating to your use of the OMNY Website by downloading and installing a browser plugin available here.
The OMNY Website may allow your browser to request your current location, which, if selected, could determine your geographic location. We will only collect and process such information if you have consented and opted-in to this feature. You may also always opt out or withdraw your permission by changing your permissions or settings on your browser.
HOW WE USE YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
To operate the OMNY Website
We use your Personal Information:
- to provide, maintain and improve the OMNY Website and the services we offer through OMNY Products;
- to communicate with you about OMNY Products, including by sending you announcements, updates, security alerts, and support and administrative messages;
- to understand your needs and interests, and personalize your experience with OMNY Products; and
- to respond to your requests, questions and feedback related to OMNY Products, if applicable.
To process your transactions.
The MTA uses your payment card information to process your transactions made at OMNY readers and resolve inquiries you submit when you contact us via the OMNY Website or through OMNY Customer Service. We may use your transaction history to resolve issues with your credit or debit card charges in OMNY or for your other inquiries, however, this does not constitute use or disclosure of your Personal Information.
To communicate with you
If you register for an OMNY Account, request information from us, place an order online, or participate in our surveys, promotions, or events, we may send you MTA communications as permitted by law. Please be aware that you cannot opt out of initial communications regarding registering your account and account notifications, such as password changes.
To comply with law
The MTA uses your Personal Information as we believe necessary or appropriate to comply with applicable laws, lawful requests, and legal processes, such as to respond to subpoenas or requests from government authorities.
With your consent
To create anonymous data for analytics
We may create anonymized data from your Personal Information and the Personal Information we collect from others. We make Personal Information into anonymized data by excluding information that makes the data personally identifiable to you, and the MTA may use that anonymized data for our lawful business purposes such as to improve OMNY Products and planning for OMNY or MTA service improvements. Anonymous data does not contain any information that could be used to identify or contact individual customers or their OMNY Accounts
For compliance, fraud prevention, and safety
DISCLOSURE OF YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
The MTA will only disclose Personal Information we collect if you consent to the disclosure of such Personal Information or under the circumstances described below. The MTA will not sell the information collected from OMNY Products to third parties for commercial marketing purposes.
The MTA may disclose Personal Information without your consent:
- For compliance, fraud prevention, and safety. We may share your Personal Information for the compliance, fraud prevention and safety purposes described in Section 2 (For Compliance, Fraud Prevention and Safety Purposes) above.
- When required by law. We may be required to share your information pursuant to a court order or other legal or regulatory obligation or process. In addition, the MTA is a public benefit corporation and, as such, the disclosure of your Personal Information is subject to certain laws, including but not limited to the New York State Internet Security and Privacy Act, New York State Freedom of Information Law, and the New York State Personal Privacy Protection Law, unless the information is exempted by law. You should not provide personal information if you are concerned about disclosure of your information under these laws.
RETENTION OF YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
CONFIDENTIALITY AND SECURITY OF YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
The MTA is strongly committed to protecting your Personal Information from unauthorized access, use or disclosure. As the entity that maintains the OMNY Website, Cubic employs a number of organizational, technical and physical safeguards designed to protect the Personal Information we collect, and Cubic periodically reviews its processes and systems to verify compliance with industry best practices to ensure the highest level of security. By way of example and not limitation, payment card information is stored within OMNY Products in a non-identifiable way so that it has no extrinsic or exploitable meaning or value. However, security risk is inherent in all internet and information technologies, and we cannot guarantee the security of your Personal Information.
As an additional security measure, should you register for an OMNY Account, we require the use of a valid email address and password to help protect your Personal Information. This allows the MTA to verify who you are and prevent unauthorized access. You are responsible for maintaining the confidentiality of your password, account and access to your computer.
THIRD PARTY PLATFORMS
The OMNY Website may integrate with third party platforms, such as Facebook and Google. If you sign in through a third party platform, you authorize the MTA to collect, store, and use any information that you agreed the third party platform would provide to the MTA, such as your name, profile picture, unique identifier, and email address. When you use a third party platform through the OMNY Website, the third party may also have access to information about you and your use of the OMNY Website. PLEASE REVIEW THESE THIRD PARTIES’ PRIVACY NOTICES CAREFULLY, AS THE MTA DOES NOT CONTROL AND CANNOT BE RESPONSIBLE FOR THESE PROVIDERS' PRIVACY OR INFORMATION SECURITY PRACTICES.
THIRD PARTY SITES AND SERVICE PROVIDERS
CUSTOMER OBLIGATIONS AND DISCLAIMER
OMNY ACCOUNT REGISTRATION AND CONTROLS
Registering for an OMNY Account is optional. If you opt to register for an OMNY Account, you will need to provide Account Information to us, as described in Section 1 (Personal Information We Collect) above. An OMNY Account may be closed at any time by contacting OMNY Customer Service at 511 or https://www.omny.info/Contact.
Modifying or Updating Personal Information
A customer who has registered for an OMNY Account can modify Personal Information at any time, or add or delete any Account Information both online at https://www.omny.info by logging into their OMNY Account, or by contacting OMNY Customer Service.
Choosing not to share your personal information
You may choose not to send us an email, register online for an OMNY Account, or otherwise communicate with us via the OMNY Website. While your choice not to participate in these activities or transactions may limit your ability to receive specific services or products through the OMNY Website, it will not prevent you from requesting services or products from the MTA and its affiliates and subsidiaries by other means and will usually not impact your ability to take advantage of other features of MTA websites.
PERSONAL INFORMATION OF CHILDREN; COMPLIANCE WITH COPPA.
The MTA does not knowingly collect Personal Information from children under the age of 13 years through the OMNY Products, in compliance with the Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act (“COPPA”) and the Federal Trade Commission’s rule interpreting COPPA (16 CFR § 312). The OMNY Products are not directed at children, and as such, Personal Information submitted in an email or through an online transaction will be treated as though it was submitted by an adult, and may, unless exempted by federal or state law, be subject to public access. Please contact us if you believe we have Personal Information related to a child under 13 years. If we learn that a child under 13 years of age has provided us with Personal Information, we will delete this information from our databases.
NO WARRANTIES OR REPRESENTATIONS
APPLICABILITY TO OMNY PRODUCTS ONLY
OMNY PRODUCTS PROVIDED IN THE MTA REGION ONLY
The MTA provides local transportation services in New York City through Long Island, southeastern New York State and Connecticut (collectively, the “MTA Region”). The OMNY Products are intended for users in the MTA Region. You acknowledge and agree that any information you submit to us through the OMNY Products is processed within the United States and subject to the applicable laws of the United States.
Questions or comments regarding the MTA, its affiliates and subsidiaries generally, Freedom of Information Law Requests or any other non-OMNY inquiries must be submitted as directed by MTA.info.
Last updated: March 15, 2019